October 26, 2006
44 Flavors of Fun
In my last post, I suggested that my brother's family and ours had played 20 kinds of games and had 10 other kinds of fun in the past five days of their visit. That would be 30. Then I remembered something I forgot, which would make it (like Baskin Robbins ice cream) 31 Flavors of Fun. However, that was only a very brief stop, because then I was reminded of several other things that we had already enjoyed, and THEN, we proceeded to add several more today.
Here are the activities I missed from before:
- telephone (the whispering in people's ears around the table and seeing how garbled the message gets game)
- 20 Questions
- make up a story by each successive person adding a sentence
- climbing on enormous rocks by the sea
- throwing rocks at a pylon in the sea, trying to hit the wood, then trying to land a rock on top of the pylon
- racing one at a time down a rocky hill to a bridge and back up the hill, being timed
- football in the back yard (mostly mudball)
Then today we added:
- Bohnanza (a fun bean card trading game)
- walking an hour and 20 minutes around Virginia Water Lake (David, Mark and Katherine striding fast)
- Tailball (both with the tailball and with a regular ball, which seemed to work better)
- catch with a whiffle ball in the front yard
- whiffle baseball
- hangman (the two girls upstairs on Emily's whiteboard easel)
- Quoridor (thanks once again, KFB! Now that has been a long-lasting gift)
Which brings the total to 44 Flavors of Fun. After one more day of this, we'll all have to collapse - the fun guests on the plane ride home, and us in our beds!
October 26, 2006 | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 44 Flavors of Fun:
I want to come play - it sounds like a lot of fun.
Posted by: Mimi | Oct 27, 2006 9:09:12 PM
Blokus! A fabulous strategy game that is SO simple that everyone over four years old can play competitively. And its pretty. Little colored tile that can only touch at the corners. And the one with the fewest squares left wins! [My husband brought it home at the same time he got Quoridor. He keeps a few new games in the closet for "emergencies", although he has yet to explain just what kind of life-n-death emergency can be solved with Quoridor]
Posted by: Lucy | Oct 27, 2006 9:18:49 PM
WOW you guys are some SERIOUS game players! We love games, too, but we seem to have trouble agreeing on what to play. For this reason we created Family Game Night, where whoever's "turn" it us chooses the game and we all HAVE to play it. It has been great fun. My favorite game is "Dragon Delt" but no one would play it with me until we instituted this new rule!
I'm glad to hear you are having a very nice visit. :-)
Posted by: Helen | Oct 28, 2006 2:45:39 AM
What a special time you've had. It all sounds like a lot of fun, but I too would be looking forward to the rest....
Posted by: Melene | Oct 28, 2006 6:27:31 PM