August 21, 2007
UK County Maps
I've been looking for a drag & drop online map game of the UK, to allow me to guess where the counties are (like U.S. States, only smaller). Haven't found it yet - let me know if you do. I'd love to train myself. I can locate only a couple so far!
I've just been looking at some online maps at least:
This Great Britain county map allows checking and unchecking of boxes to turn each county blue or yellow, which is the most interactive sort of thing I've found so far. Pretty helpful, though not too fun. It also misses out some counties! I know, because I drive from here (Berkshire) to Staines in Middlesex County to go non-grocery shopping, and it's not even on this map.
This colorful Great Britain county map is much prettier and also more accurate as far as I can tell. Middlesex figures on it. The names are written in the county shapes, which is easier to ingest, I find.
In any case, from these two maps I have determined that the counties surrounding Berkshire are:
- Surrey (to the southeast; that I knew, since our school is in Surrey, and we're kind of in a dimple of Berkshire surrounded by Surrey, and lots of our acquaintances live in Surrey)
- Middlesex (nearest movie theatre is here; east)
- Hampshire (drove south through this to get to Isle of Wight last October, but didn't know it)
- Buckinghamshire to the northeast
- Oxfordshire to the northwest
- Wiltshire (visited some old friends here)
- and a tiny bit of Gloucestershire, it would appear (northwest tip of Berkshire just brushes it)
August 21, 2007 | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference UK County Maps: