July 27, 2008
Blessed at "Lift Zug"
This morning we visited a third church here in northern Switzerland, this time in the canton of Zug. We live halfway between the cities of Zurich and Zug, so we can go either direction. David's office is in Zurich, the kids' schools are in Zug, so our centre is not clear. I guess that would be our house.
LIFT = Living in Forever Today, which is a catchy idea...
It is a small church (there were maybe 40-50 people there this morning, including kids), but this is also summertime, with people gone. However, it meets in a very small room on one of the main streets in Zug, right on the lake, and it didn't seem that there were any spare seats, so I'm not sure how it works during the school year... Beautiful flowers adorned a little park on the lakefront across the street.
We really enjoyed the worship in song (mostly songs we knew, with guitars, keyboard, drums, words on the screen), just our style, and the message was full of Jesus and His Love and Life given for us. Emily, of her own accord went upstairs to the kids' class, without us even going with her (she did not go at either of the other two churches, so it was nice to see her feel so comfortable). The view over Lake Zug from upstairs was breathtaking.
Afterwards, we spent a long time chatting and getting to know several families:
- the pastor is from Colorado, and his wife is of Swiss and German descent. The whole family of four have both U.S. and Swiss passports and have lived in Colorado. Talk about a connection for us! We love Colorado. The daughter in this family is 11 and she welcomed Emily like an old friend. Emily is really hoping to go back again next week. "Would anyone mind?" as she put it surreptitiously.
- the worship leader (this week anyway) and his wife are from London (so that was another connection for us)
- another guitar player and his wife are from South Africa (a good friend and prayer partner of mine in the UK was South African - it was nice to hear the accent again)
- the couple who were sitting in front of us are from Canada, and BOTH teach at Emily's new school!!! That was fantastic to hear. Not only that - the gentleman teaches Emily's Grade!!!!!! She has a quarter chance of having him, since there are 4 5th grades next year.
- another couple we met are from the U.S. but lived in two other countries before landing here, the most recent being England, just like us. They have two boys and a girl - the eldest boy is about Jason's height and plays guitar and piano (I can imagine Jason playing drums with him...), and the next is Emily's age and will be in her grade at her new school as well (but not with the teacher we met) - so now she has 50/50 chance of being in a class with someone she's already met! Wow. The grace of God is so deep and lavish.
We found out that the pastor's wife knows the science teacher at Jason's school, and that she is a Christian! Very exciting to hear as well. What wonderful connections this morning. Thank You! Thank You!
After the chatting tapered, we went out for a local pizza lunch with the South Africans, the Canadians, and the American family with the two older boys (most of the kids at this church are on the younger side - a huge number of strollers parked in the hallway...). More good chat time - all the adults at one long table, all the kids at another, outside in the perfect temperature on a lovely day.
So is this where You want us, Lord? Thank You in any case for a very blessed morning. Please provide friends for Jason and bring some more God-seeking teenagers to this church if You are planting us here!
July 27, 2008 | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Blessed at "Lift Zug":
He knows. He knows what you need. He knows what is best. He knows how you feel. He knows your kids. He knows what He has for you. He knows. And He has equipped you for every situation.
Also, we spent a lot of time with Dawn and Kelly at the wedding! Lots to share and so much love have we for you all. Mom
Posted by: Patricia | Jul 28, 2008 2:21:37 AM