February 04, 2009
Katherine's Apple Crumble
On the third tweaking, and having looked at ingredients in various other people's recipes, I came up with this original recipe for Apple Crumble. I surprise myself. Feel free to try it - my family likes it.
* Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
* Butter a 9x13" glass baking dish.
* Stir together in Bowl #1:
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- generous 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- generous 1/2 cup broken pecans
(pecans can be toasted in preheating oven if you feel so inclined, 5 mins or so)
* In Bowl #2, stir together:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 dashes cloves
- 2 dashes nutmeg
- 1 dash allspice
- up to 1 cup of healthy-ish cereal (clusters or flakes or whatever no one is eating up)
* Peel, core and chop 8 apples, then toss with Bowl #2. Spread this mixture evenly in the bottom of the buttered pan.
* Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the apple mixture (perhaps through a sieve so as not to let any seeds fall in)
* Melt 4 Tablespoons of butter. Quickly stir it into Bowl #1, then spread this mixture over the apples.
* Pour 1/4 cup of water around the edges of the pan.
* Bake 30 minutes. Eat plain for snack or breakfast, or dessert, or add ice cream or whipped cream if you like. Let me know if you try it and what you think. "En guete," as they say in Swiss-German (Enjoy, Bon Appétit...).
February 4, 2009 | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Katherine's Apple Crumble:
Correction, your family thinks this creation of yours is fabulously scrumptious. And just trying to come up with the adjectives for that previous sentence made my mouth start watering!
Posted by: David | Feb 4, 2009 6:48:15 PM