June 21, 2014
Jerusalem and Bethlehem (Israel Day 5/6)
12 June, Thursday: Jerusalem and Bethlehem (mostly on foot; saw lots more than this but I didn't have time to write it all down as we were always on the move on foot)
- Lion Gate
- Bethesda (pool down deep at St. Anne's church; traditional birthplace of Anne/Hannah, mother of Mary)
- Via Dolorosa (Roman soldiers etched games on the stone floors)
- Damascus Gate, Garden Tomb, Jerusalem bagels with dry green hyssop salt!
- Austrian café/hospice - had apple strudel
- 14 stations of the cross
- Muslim strike - shops all closed. Jewish ones open.
- Jewish Quarter Café for lunch.
- Cistern under Queen Helen Coptic Orthodox church - huge, wonderful echoes such that you can make chords with one person's voice, three notes. Also an Ethiopian church.
- Mt. Zion - King David's Tomb (not really) and Upper Room (not really)
- Wailing Wall - men's and women's prayer areas at the Western Wall; also archaeological area of Western Wall where men and women can go together. K went to Women's Section Tunnel to come out by men's section under arch, closer to former temple area...
- Saw entrance to Oskar Schindler's grave site, but didn't have time to stop
- Bethlehem in West Bank
June 21, 2014 | Permalink